Monday 26 April 2010

What I forgot about doing a PhD


I had some things to do Saturday, and I also really wanted the time to pass quicker, so I pretended it was another working day. My body seemed to buy into it, and woke up at seven thirty without prompting. I was at the office by nine; well, rather, I was in front of the building at nine. I took a moment for the security guard to stop disbelieving and actually open the door for me. According to the register I had to sign, there were five other people in the building at the time. Ah, sweet alienation.

I had considerable success in convincing myself it was a normal office day; I even had a tasteless ready-made plastic-packed pasta for lunch to complete the illusion. And when I got bored, or tired, I could always lie on the floor and stare outside the window for a while, or sit on my desk... and eventually put trainers on and leave, when I wanted.

The little pleasures.

It was a Saturday after all... so the rest of the working day was spent in Cafe Zanzero in Stockbridge, just me, a pot of tea, a laptop and, briefly, a blueberry cupcake... And so that day reminded me of the liberty and choice and paranoia which comes with PhDing - not exactly a trade off, but there are definite pluses.

Aah, my sweet cupcake...

No comments:

Post a Comment